Watch Tryst Watch Tryst  
Forum  

Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Watch Tryst > Luxury Watches > Panerai Watches

Panerai Watches The Italian Navy knew their watches long before Sly Stallone discovered them. Then the secret got out on these unique, robust beauties.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-15-2013, 08:40 PM   #1
Dan2010
Serious Tryster
 
Dan2010's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 315
Real Name: Dan
Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Default My new PAM 312

My first foray into the wonderful world of PAM.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PAM 312.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	49.1 KB
ID:	510  
Dan2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 09:26 PM   #2
Frankie
Capo
 
Frankie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: The Jersey Shore
Posts: 10,338
Real Name: Frankie
Thanks: 75
Thanked 49 Times in 48 Posts
Default

Damn that's a beauty Don! I really like the strap color and how it pops from the silver of the case.

More pics please!
__________________
Frankie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 10:04 PM   #3
doc
destiny's original child
 
doc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: the doc side
Posts: 11,874
Real Name: David
Thanks: 22
Thanked 103 Times in 101 Posts
Default

Wow. That looks incredible on your wrist. Great choice.
doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 10:10 PM   #4
East Bay Rider
Advanced Tryster
 
East Bay Rider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: RI
Posts: 3,234
Real Name: Bill
Thanks: 27
Thanked 57 Times in 55 Posts
Default

That's a nice one!
__________________
Putting the 'fun' in dysfunctional.

... and as I shifted into 2nd, I couldn't remember a thing she said.

Instagram: eastbayrider46
East Bay Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 10:45 PM   #5
Dan2010
Serious Tryster
 
Dan2010's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 315
Real Name: Dan
Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Default

Thanks guys. Definately my favorite PAM. I think I got it right the first time on my initial foray into Panarai.

Now the strap hunting begins!
Dan2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 10:53 PM   #6
Frankie
Capo
 
Frankie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: The Jersey Shore
Posts: 10,338
Real Name: Frankie
Thanks: 75
Thanked 49 Times in 48 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan2010 View Post
Now the strap hunting begins!
Uh oh.... What are you thinking? Different colors/styles?
__________________
Frankie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 01:28 AM   #7
Doug
Advanced Tryster
 
Doug's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Detroit
Posts: 2,580
Real Name: Doug
Thanks: 20
Thanked 23 Times in 23 Posts
Default

Beauty, Dan!

Only one issue, wrong wrist.

When yer slammin' that Challenger into third, doin' 100+, Panerai needs to help!
__________________
Pain, agony, defeat. Live it, Love it, Learn by it.
Life is short, don't live in the past, No Regrets!
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 07:38 AM   #8
Dan2010
Serious Tryster
 
Dan2010's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 315
Real Name: Dan
Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug View Post
Beauty, Dan!

Only one issue, wrong wrist.

When yer slammin' that Challenger into third, doin' 100+, Panerai needs to help!
My SRT doesnt need any help. Its got power to burn baby!
Dan2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 08:12 AM   #9
Frankie
Capo
 
Frankie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: The Jersey Shore
Posts: 10,338
Real Name: Frankie
Thanks: 75
Thanked 49 Times in 48 Posts
Default

The PAM will look ultra stylish inside the SRT. Speaking of which, how is the SRT treating you?
__________________
Frankie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 11:18 AM   #10
cr6man
Advanced Tryster
 
cr6man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: left coast
Posts: 1,047
Real Name: harry
Thanks: 38
Thanked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Default

NICE!!!! I think I'm inspired.....for a Ferrari PAM!
cr6man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 12:24 PM   #11
Dan2010
Serious Tryster
 
Dan2010's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 315
Real Name: Dan
Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie View Post
The PAM will look ultra stylish inside the SRT. Speaking of which, how is the SRT treating you?
Its treating me great. Supposedly at 4500 miles the computer is completely unlocked and I will have all my power. I can tell you if I dont have full power now its going to be scary awesome when I do. I have 4320 miles as I write this.
Dan2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 01:18 PM   #12
Frankie
Capo
 
Frankie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: The Jersey Shore
Posts: 10,338
Real Name: Frankie
Thanks: 75
Thanked 49 Times in 48 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan2010 View Post
Its treating me great. Supposedly at 4500 miles the computer is completely unlocked and I will have all my power. I can tell you if I dont have full power now its going to be scary awesome when I do. I have 4320 miles as I write this.
WoW! I didn't know the computer had a break-in period like that. I'm curious to know how noticeable the full unlocked computer is.
__________________
Frankie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 01:15 AM   #13
Doug
Advanced Tryster
 
Doug's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Detroit
Posts: 2,580
Real Name: Doug
Thanks: 20
Thanked 23 Times in 23 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan2010 View Post
Its treating me great. Supposedly at 4500 miles the computer is completely unlocked and I will have all my power. I can tell you if I dont have full power now its going to be scary awesome when I do. I have 4320 miles as I write this.
Interesting.

I remember reading that the Shelby Mustang GT500 was like this, I didn't know the Challenger was this way as well.
__________________
Pain, agony, defeat. Live it, Love it, Learn by it.
Life is short, don't live in the past, No Regrets!
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 03:17 AM   #14
Frankie
Capo
 
Frankie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: The Jersey Shore
Posts: 10,338
Real Name: Frankie
Thanks: 75
Thanked 49 Times in 48 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug View Post
Interesting.

I remember reading that the Shelby Mustang GT500 was like this, I didn't know the Challenger was this way as well.
Your slipping Doug...
__________________
Frankie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 02:02 PM   #15
Doug
Advanced Tryster
 
Doug's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Detroit
Posts: 2,580
Real Name: Doug
Thanks: 20
Thanked 23 Times in 23 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie View Post
Your slipping Doug...
Well, I know on the Shelby, it has to do with "loosening up" the motor a bit before full boost is released (supercharged) as not to create frictional hot spots that could cause excessive wear. I didn't know the SRT motors are this way.

As a side, every new Viper motor is run on a dyno for 40 minutes, and, if I remember correctly, is considered broke in when received by the customer, ready for the track.

So, it's interesting the Hemi has it, especially for so long, 4500 miles.

I break in all my cars, on my own, for 500 miles. All up and down speeds, no lugging, no freeways (constant speeds), and plenty of bursts of power. My cars get 200,000 miles, easy.

It's what I've read is the best procedure. I've even read that the shipping process, zoom off the assembly line, loading, and unloading actually contributes to a proper break in. Short bursts of power, etc.

One more thing, I can be known to drive my cars quite hard. The other "secret" to longevity is never drive hard on a cold motor! Get that motor fully warmed, and pretend you're Andretti!
__________________
Pain, agony, defeat. Live it, Love it, Learn by it.
Life is short, don't live in the past, No Regrets!

Last edited by Doug; 01-19-2013 at 02:08 PM..
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 02:51 PM   #16
East Bay Rider
Advanced Tryster
 
East Bay Rider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: RI
Posts: 3,234
Real Name: Bill
Thanks: 27
Thanked 57 Times in 55 Posts
Default

When Andretti wants to drive hard, he pretends he's Bill.
__________________
Putting the 'fun' in dysfunctional.

... and as I shifted into 2nd, I couldn't remember a thing she said.

Instagram: eastbayrider46
East Bay Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 03:02 PM   #17
East Bay Rider
Advanced Tryster
 
East Bay Rider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: RI
Posts: 3,234
Real Name: Bill
Thanks: 27
Thanked 57 Times in 55 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug View Post
... One more thing, I can be known to drive my cars quite hard. The other "secret" to longevity is never drive hard on a cold motor! Get that motor fully warmed, and pretend you're Andretti!

Yes, what Doug said.
I live on a slight incline. No need to mash the pedal. Just throw it in gear and idle down the hill while I put on sunglasses, gloves, adjust mirror etc. That gets the engine warm, the oil flowing and the transmission and axles lube splashing good and proper before even touching the accelerator.
__________________
Putting the 'fun' in dysfunctional.

... and as I shifted into 2nd, I couldn't remember a thing she said.

Instagram: eastbayrider46
East Bay Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 08:12 PM   #18
Dan2010
Serious Tryster
 
Dan2010's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 315
Real Name: Dan
Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Default

I definately don't baby my Challenger. Its a muscle car and I drive it like a muscle car. And it makes driving fun again!

I also get a thrill when I see some silly Prius and know that he is driving that POS thinking he is saving the polar bears and the disdain he must have for me driving my 14 mpg beast. It's a guilty pleasure and I fully admit it...........LOL
Dan2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 09:24 PM   #19
East Bay Rider
Advanced Tryster
 
East Bay Rider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: RI
Posts: 3,234
Real Name: Bill
Thanks: 27
Thanked 57 Times in 55 Posts
Default

__________________
Putting the 'fun' in dysfunctional.

... and as I shifted into 2nd, I couldn't remember a thing she said.

Instagram: eastbayrider46
East Bay Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 08:41 AM   #20
Frankie
Capo
 
Frankie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: The Jersey Shore
Posts: 10,338
Real Name: Frankie
Thanks: 75
Thanked 49 Times in 48 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan2010 View Post
I definately don't baby my Challenger. Its a muscle car and I drive it like a muscle car. And it makes driving fun again!

I also get a thrill when I see some silly Prius and know that he is driving that POS thinking he is saving the polar bears and the disdain he must have for me driving my 14 mpg beast. It's a guilty pleasure and I fully admit it...........LOL
Where's the savings in a Prius at its current price? You may save a few pennies at the gas pump but you sure don't save with the price tag of it. People buy in to it too easily without actually doing an analysis on the total cost of ownership. My thinking is, get something that you will enjoy driving.

Have you done any modifications to your Challenger? Do you plan on doing any mods?
__________________
Frankie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 08:44 AM   #21
Frankie
Capo
 
Frankie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: The Jersey Shore
Posts: 10,338
Real Name: Frankie
Thanks: 75
Thanked 49 Times in 48 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug View Post
Well, I know on the Shelby, it has to do with "loosening up" the motor a bit before full boost is released (supercharged) as not to create frictional hot spots that could cause excessive wear. I didn't know the SRT motors are this way.

As a side, every new Viper motor is run on a dyno for 40 minutes, and, if I remember correctly, is considered broke in when received by the customer, ready for the track.

So, it's interesting the Hemi has it, especially for so long, 4500 miles.

I break in all my cars, on my own, for 500 miles. All up and down speeds, no lugging, no freeways (constant speeds), and plenty of bursts of power. My cars get 200,000 miles, easy.

It's what I've read is the best procedure. I've even read that the shipping process, zoom off the assembly line, loading, and unloading actually contributes to a proper break in. Short bursts of power, etc.

One more thing, I can be known to drive my cars quite hard. The other "secret" to longevity is never drive hard on a cold motor! Get that motor fully warmed, and pretend you're Andretti!

This is good information Doug, most of which I did not know. Thanks for sharing. So your saying for the initial break-in period of about 500 miles speeds should vary greatly?

Aside from the details above, do you use a specific type/brand of oil? And what about petroleum, do you use any particular grade / brand?
__________________
Frankie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 09:21 PM   #22
Dan2010
Serious Tryster
 
Dan2010's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 315
Real Name: Dan
Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie View Post
Where's the savings in a Prius at its current price? You may save a few pennies at the gas pump but you sure don't save with the price tag of it. People buy in to it too easily without actually doing an analysis on the total cost of ownership. My thinking is, get something that you will enjoy driving.

Have you done any modifications to your Challenger? Do you plan on doing any mods?
No mods and don't plan any anytime soon. The word is Dodge is bringing back the Barracuda with a 6.2 supercharger for model year 14 or 15. Camaro is also suppposed to be changing as well. Of course, the new Corvette was just unvieled and I like that too. I am basically sitting back and waiting to see what comes out in the next few years. I am ok with around 500 hp and 500 ft/lbs of torque for the time being........LOL
Dan2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 11:34 PM   #23
Frankie
Capo
 
Frankie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: The Jersey Shore
Posts: 10,338
Real Name: Frankie
Thanks: 75
Thanked 49 Times in 48 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan2010 View Post
No mods and don't plan any anytime soon. The word is Dodge is bringing back the Barracuda with a 6.2 supercharger for model year 14 or 15. Camaro is also suppposed to be changing as well. Of course, the new Corvette was just unvieled and I like that too. I am basically sitting back and waiting to see what comes out in the next few years. I am ok with around 500 hp and 500 ft/lbs of torque for the time being........LOL
Am I sensing that a trade may be in the near future depending on what gets announced?

500HP and 500 ft/lbs of torque is a good start for a daily driver. LoL
__________________
Frankie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 12:00 AM   #24
Doug
Advanced Tryster
 
Doug's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Detroit
Posts: 2,580
Real Name: Doug
Thanks: 20
Thanked 23 Times in 23 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie View Post
This is good information Doug, most of which I did not know. Thanks for sharing. So your saying for the initial break-in period of about 500 miles speeds should vary greatly?

Aside from the details above, do you use a specific type/brand of oil? And what about petroleum, do you use any particular grade / brand?
Yes. Don't drive down the freeway at constant speed. Stay off the freeway (or toll road, lol) Vary the speed and, if it's a stick, don't "lug" (low rpm, high gas petal - where things will shake) the motor - it's actually worse than higher rpm.

And, every so often, bursts of full throttle (like you're going to pass someone on a 2 lane road) but not from a standstill, too much strain too early. So, doing 40 mph cruise, get on the throttle for 3-5 seconds and back off.

You likely don't need even 500 miles, I do 500 but, cruising around on a Saturday afternoon, enjoying the new ride is probably fine.

When I bought my last 4 wheeler, it might have gotten an hour of "easy" riding, then I just made sure I didn't lug the motor unnecessarily. It's been fine, for 7 years now.

Oil is simple, whatever the factory uses. Both type and weight. I believe people over think oil, because they believe they have a choice. The engineers did their testing with that oil, you run it and have an engine issue, warranty won't be denied. You experiment (for no real reason) it could be denied.

With the Compass, I pre-bought 4 oil changes for a whopping $60 from my local dealership. It goes in every 6 months for an oil change and a tire rotation. Plus, the maintenance is all on record, if there is a warranty issue.

I also go by the owners manual for oil change frequency, again simple. It's what the engineers used in development.

Lastly, I (my personal opinion, from research) don't think an engine that uses petroleum oil will do "better" with synthetic. My neon is still on the road after 15 years of petroleum based oil use with service intervals about every 3 months, which was 4,000 - 5,000 miles, and now has about 250,000 miles. Didn't matter what brand of oil, heck a lot of those oil changes were at the local quickie oil change place, I think it was Kendall Oil. It's being driven, currently, by an ex-co-worker's kid these days.

But, my 4 wheeler does use synthetic, so I use it, Amsoil, from the local cycle shop. It regularly sees full rpm, over 10,000 rpm. And, it's what came in it.

Lastly, for fuel use the octane rating , you guessed it, that's recommended/required. Higher octane rating than needed really is just a waste of money.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Octane_rating

As far as brand, fuel is so regulated (here in MI anyway, I assume other states are similar) that all fuel really is the same. They all change based on summer/winter blends. They are all also required to have detergents in their fuels to help maintain clean injectors.

Best advice is go to a busy station where there is a high turnover rate for the fuel. Fuel does age, and gas that's only even a month old can evaporate off some of it's octane, which will lower, obviously, the octane rating and could cause knocking.

Back in 2005, I went to the Canadian Rockies in September. I was getting a lot of knocking. I found out it was due to old gas because I got gas in Calgary, where the station was busy, and all the knocking went away. Then, I got gas again, in the mountains, and it instantly came back.

The end of my novel.
__________________
Pain, agony, defeat. Live it, Love it, Learn by it.
Life is short, don't live in the past, No Regrets!
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 12:19 AM   #25
Doug
Advanced Tryster
 
Doug's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Detroit
Posts: 2,580
Real Name: Doug
Thanks: 20
Thanked 23 Times in 23 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan2010 View Post
No mods and don't plan any anytime soon. The word is Dodge is bringing back the Barracuda with a 6.2 supercharger for model year 14 or 15. Camaro is also suppposed to be changing as well. Of course, the new Corvette was just unvieled and I like that too. I am basically sitting back and waiting to see what comes out in the next few years. I am ok with around 500 hp and 500 ft/lbs of torque for the time being........LOL
I don't know about the supercharger, but the 'cuda and next Camaro are both supposed to be smaller and, therefore, lighter.

Although, with at least 450 hp, great looks, under 3200 pound curb weight, $50k...

... I like the 'vette.

But it will need ...

The Z51 Performance Package is designed for track enthusiasts and includes an electronic limited-slip differential, dry-sump oiling system, integral brake, differential and transmission cooling, as well as a unique aero package that’s said to further improve high-speed stability.

EDIT: But, I want a convertible, so not until spring of 2014, and might get to see the 'cuda by then!
__________________
Pain, agony, defeat. Live it, Love it, Learn by it.
Life is short, don't live in the past, No Regrets!

Last edited by Doug; 01-28-2013 at 12:25 AM..
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 11:34 PM   #26
Dan2010
Serious Tryster
 
Dan2010's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 315
Real Name: Dan
Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug View Post
I don't know about the supercharger, but the 'cuda and next Camaro are both supposed to be smaller and, therefore, lighter.

Although, with at least 450 hp, great looks, under 3200 pound curb weight, $50k...

... I like the 'vette.

But it will need ...

The Z51 Performance Package is designed for track enthusiasts and includes an electronic limited-slip differential, dry-sump oiling system, integral brake, differential and transmission cooling, as well as a unique aero package thatís said to further improve high-speed stability.

EDIT: But, I want a convertible, so not until spring of 2014, and might get to see the 'cuda by then!
Yes, the new vette looks awesome and definately something I would be interested in. And convertible would be nice too.
Dan2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 04:15 AM   #27
Doug
Advanced Tryster
 
Doug's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Detroit
Posts: 2,580
Real Name: Doug
Thanks: 20
Thanked 23 Times in 23 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan2010 View Post
Yes, the new vette looks awesome and definately something I would be interested in. And convertible would be nice too.
I really would like a convertible SRT-8. But, I was told by a boss who had worked at the Brampton plant was there is no room for a convertible line.

I looked into having a custom job done and I found a good place in Florida, even talked to a reference customer. But, the job was about $16,000 to start.

So, I hope the 'cuda is made in Sterling Heights as they already make the convertible 200.
__________________
Pain, agony, defeat. Live it, Love it, Learn by it.
Life is short, don't live in the past, No Regrets!
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:39 PM.

Top Watch Sites Top Watch Sites
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
WatchTryst.com 2018