Watch Tryst Watch Tryst  
Forum  

Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Watch Tryst > Luxury Watches > Panerai Watches

Panerai Watches The Italian Navy knew their watches long before Sly Stallone discovered them. Then the secret got out on these unique, robust beauties.

Old 07-26-2011, 01:10 PM   #1
Frankie
Capo

Default Besides Stallone... Who else wears Panerai?

Are there any other celebs or public figures sporting Panerai?

For some reason I can't seem to gain a strong interest for this brand.

-Frankie
Frankie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 02:09 PM   #2
Figbo
Advanced Tryster

Doug does!!
Old 07-26-2011, 02:19 PM   #3
Frankie
Capo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Figbo View Post
Doug does!!
Doug, let's see some wrist shots!

-Frankie
Old 07-26-2011, 03:08 PM   #4
doc
destiny's original child

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie View Post

-Frankie
+1.
doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 03:30 PM   #5
Doug
Advanced Tryster

Quote:

-Frankie
I need a camera. Have/had one it's somewhere around here!

I've been arguing with myself over 2 different $20K+ gold watches, but I see a $200 camera as a waste of money. Go figure!

Jason Statham (sp?) wears one in the Transporter movies and (I think) The Mechanic. Maybe some others too. Hmmm, not sure what he wears in the Crank movies, I should watch them again, my kind of funny!

Last edited by Doug; 07-26-2011 at 03:34 PM..
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 03:32 PM   #6
doc
destiny's original child

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug View Post

I've been arguing with myself over 2 different $20K+ gold watches, but I see a $200 camera as a waste of money. Go figure!
Which watches are you considering ?
Old 07-26-2011, 03:38 PM   #7
Doug
Advanced Tryster

Solid gold Daytona and Blancpain FF Chrono Flyback in red gold. I'd also like to look at the SS FF Blue face, it has chrono, annual calender, and moonphase. The AD here still hasn't even received one blue face yet.
Old 07-26-2011, 03:58 PM   #8
doc
destiny's original child

No solid gold Rolex, even though they look pretty. Unless you have money to burn. The Blancpain would be awesome. Don't forget to check out the Breguets, you're in the price range now and they are suh-weet.
Old 07-26-2011, 04:44 PM   #9
Doug
Advanced Tryster

I really wish I'd bought a Yactmaster II a year ago. They could be had used for $20k, easily. Now, they're $28k, 40% increase in a year. I don't think so.

Yeah, I looked at Breguet Marine, too. I liked Greg's alot when I saw it in Columbus last year. I figure I'd need to sell something to get to the next level, so to speak. Two weeks ago I found a new, old stock gold Daytona that is at a dealer that is no longer an AD.

I have heard a couple reasons why but Jared's Jewelers have lost their AD status, at least here in MI. I believe it's because they automatically offer to anyone a corporate determined discount on all their watches. We all know Rolex hates this, and I think that's why it was pulled.

Anyway, they had a "lot" of new, old stock. It's just kind of stuck on my brain, as I'm really not even a big fan of Daytonas, but I like it, and keep thinking about it.

The Blancpain, the only AD in MI, has had a red gold FF Chrono since at least Christmas. He does want to move it, he's offered a discount and it's off of the pre-price increase price. The issue, I know they don't hold their value very well. I need to borrow one for a month to see if I'm as enamored with it as I am with my Deepsea. I know if a "need" to sell arises, it would be the last one gone.

So I considered selling something. So a week ago, ALL the watches came out of the safe deposit box, for a couple days. I thought I'd sell the TT Yachtmaster, so I kept i out of the safe and I figured wear it, before I sell it. Bad idea, I've been wearing it every day since! So, not gonna get sold. I know I really don't want to sell anything.

So, hmmm, buy one outright. Well, that cuts really deep into my mid life sports car purchase I'd like to do next year. So I sit here, typing, thinking aloud, so to speak. I think I'll stand down, for know.
Old 07-26-2011, 04:48 PM   #10
doc
destiny's original child

I have seen Glenn Beck wearing a gold one, can't tell the model.
Old 07-26-2011, 09:28 PM   #11
mike
Black Russian Slugger

Yup, Jason Statham is a BIG Pan. fan ! He wears them in almost all of his movies.
Old 07-26-2011, 11:23 PM   #12
Frankie
Capo

Quote:

Jason Statham (sp?) wears one in the Transporter movies and (I think) The Mechanic. Maybe some others too. Hmmm, not sure what he wears in the Crank movies, I should watch them again, my kind of funny!
Who needs a camera when most modern day "smartphones" have 3+ megapixel cameras built in?

Ahhh YES!! Jason Statham does wear them in the Transporter films. I totally forgot about that. Ok, so besides Doug, Stallone & Statham who else wears them?

Doug, which Panerai do you consider the "MUST HAVE" style/model?

-Frankie
Old 07-30-2011, 05:24 PM   #13
Doug
Advanced Tryster

Um, well uh ... I don't have a smart phone either!! I've thought about getting one, but, I admit, I'm not big on electronic gadgets. There is a learning curve and all electronics seem to take me too long to "get."

You've been looking at SUV's. My sister is looking for a good, economy car for her 70 mile+ round trip commute. I went with her today and she drove the Ford Focus and I rode.

I could not turn the radio on. FIVE MINUTES I TRIED!! "Just push the button," he said. Yep, salesman got in the car to show me!!

Anyway, which PAM? Beats me. I have seen quite a few PAM and never really saw a must have, but I got a PAM 171. 44mm Titanium case on bracelet, ETA movement. Complications: Small seconds, date, and power reserve indicator. Why did I buy? I thought it was cool and Mark Theken thought it was priced well. Upon researching (after I bought, doh!)I believe he was correct and have no regrets of buying. Only thing is if you buy used, as I did, absolutely only with box and papers. Mark said they are extremely hard to sell without box and papers. I guess they are faked quite a bit.

One thing I've noticed since wearing, the dial is EXTREMELY easy to read. I read Watchtime Magazine and they'll grade for visibility. I now understand. I can tell the time truely at a glance and from many angles. I also have a TT Yachtmaster with Champagne dial (beautiful, wearing it today) and, in certain light, can be very hard to read. Yellow gold hands on a golden background.

Also, I picked up "Crank" today at the library. I'll try to figure out what he's wearing.

Last edited by Doug; 07-30-2011 at 05:27 PM..
Old 07-30-2011, 06:05 PM   #14
doc
destiny's original child

I agree about the easy to read part. I think PAMS are the ultimate utility watch, actually.

All Paneristi insist on having the triple box and the papers if they are interested in ever re-selling. Also, depending on the model, the little tools that come with it to change straps.
Old 07-30-2011, 09:23 PM   #15
mike
Black Russian Slugger

Quote:
Um, well uh ... I don't have a smart phone either!! I've thought about getting one, but, I admit, I'm not big on electronic gadgets. There is a learning curve and all electronics seem to take me too long to "get."

You've been looking at SUV's. My sister is looking for a good, economy car for her 70 mile+ round trip commute. I went with her today and she drove the Ford Focus and I rode.

I could not turn the radio on. FIVE MINUTES I TRIED!! "Just push the button," he said. Yep, salesman got in the car to show me!!

Anyway, which PAM? Beats me. I have seen quite a few PAM and never really saw a must have, but I got a PAM 171. 44mm Titanium case on bracelet, ETA movement. Complications: Small seconds, date, and power reserve indicator. Why did I buy? I thought it was cool and Mark Theken thought it was priced well. Upon researching (after I bought, doh!)I believe he was correct and have no regrets of buying. Only thing is if you buy used, as I did, absolutely only with box and papers. Mark said they are extremely hard to sell without box and papers. I guess they are faked quite a bit.

One thing I've noticed since wearing, the dial is EXTREMELY easy to read. I read Watchtime Magazine and they'll grade for visibility. I now understand. I can tell the time truely at a glance and from many angles. I also have a TT Yachtmaster with Champagne dial (beautiful, wearing it today) and, in certain light, can be very hard to read. Yellow gold hands on a golden background.

Also, I picked up "Crank" today at the library. I'll try to figure out what he's wearing.
My mother had a 2012 Focus as a rental car, and she HATED it lol Had next to no power, but the interior was very spacious for such a small car. I kinda liked it, but would never consider buying one
Old 08-01-2011, 11:01 AM   #16
Frankie
Capo

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc View Post
I agree about the easy to read part. I think PAMS are the ultimate utility watch, actually.

All Paneristi insist on having the triple box and the papers if they are interested in ever re-selling. Also, depending on the model, the little tools that come with it to change straps.
Hmmmm sounds like the Paneristi are an interesting community, quite picky are they?

Doc, why do you think that PAMS are the "ultimate" utility watch?

-Frankie
Old 08-01-2011, 11:22 AM   #17
doc
destiny's original child

Generally they're not fanciful. They really only come in two models, the Luminor and the Radiomir. The Radiomir is perhaps the dressier of the two. But...they don't do a lot of complications, the lume is always excellent, and they're built like tanks.
Old 08-01-2011, 01:07 PM   #18
Frankie
Capo

Quote:
Generally they're not fanciful. They really only come in two models, the Luminor and the Radiomir. The Radiomir is perhaps the dressier of the two. But...they don't do a lot of complications, the lume is always excellent, and they're built like tanks.
Thanks for the breakdown Doc! I have to admit, I've never graced my skin with the steel of a PAM.... Yet.....

-Frankie
Old 08-01-2011, 02:45 PM   #19
doc
destiny's original child

They're an acquired taste, IMO. The one I had was a 251 - chronograph with an off white dial and luminous dot position markers except for the big "12". It wore well and the lume was great, but it was not very eye-catching, even by PAM standards, so I rarely wore it. Hated the brown starp, so I used the rubber instead. Quite comfy I admit.

Sold it back to Yuriy for $4750, and of course had to have all the boxes, papers, stickers, etc. PAM is the only brand I've seen where you keep the sticker from the back of the case that has a handwritten mvt # on it, and affix it to the side of the outer box.
Old 08-01-2011, 07:39 PM   #20
East Bay Rider
Advanced Tryster

Quote:
They're an acquired taste, IMO. The one I had was a 251 - chronograph with an off white dial and luminous dot position markers except for the big "12". It wore well and the lume was great, but it was not very eye-catching, even by PAM standards, so I rarely wore it. Hated the brown starp, so I used the rubber instead. Quite comfy I admit.

Sold it back to Yuriy for $4750, and of course had to have all the boxes, papers, stickers, etc. PAM is the only brand I've seen where you keep the sticker from the back of the case that has a handwritten mvt # on it, and affix it to the side of the outer box.

That's probably the nicest looking Pam I've seen. I would definitely consider that one.

... and as I shifted into 2nd, I couldn't remember a thing she said.

Instagram: eastbayrider46
East Bay Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 08:20 PM   #21
doc
destiny's original child

To each his own. In the flesh, the dial - to me at least - looked washed out, and the all-brushed bezel and case was just dull.
Old 08-01-2011, 09:00 PM   #22
Frankie
Capo

I have to say that PAM doesn't quite justify the $5K+ price tag.

-Frankie
Old 08-01-2011, 09:01 PM   #23
Frankie
Capo

On second though.... To its defense I do have to say that I totally dig the strap!

-Frankie
Old 08-01-2011, 09:44 PM   #24
doc
destiny's original child

Quote:
I have to say that PAM doesn't quite justify the $5K+ price tag.

-Frankie
Actually, it's quite a bit higher. I paid Yuriy $5300 for it pre-owned in 2009. The original owner paid a dealer around $7800. The strap also did not look as nice in real life, and certainly did not seem to go on that watch.
Old 08-01-2011, 09:46 PM   #25
Frankie
Capo

Ahhh.... I am sorry.. It doesn't justify the $7800+ price tag ;-)

-Frankie
Old 08-01-2011, 09:48 PM   #26
East Bay Rider
Advanced Tryster

I have a soft spot for chronos with dates. I don't think I'd ever seen a while dial Pam before. Panarai is not a brand I'd ever considered for myself.

... and as I shifted into 2nd, I couldn't remember a thing she said.

Instagram: eastbayrider46
East Bay Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 06:11 PM   #27
Doug
Advanced Tryster

I'm not a huge PAM fan either, I just liked this one, and I liked the bracelet, a lot. At the (other forum) Columbus GTG last year, there was a Panerai Rep. in attendance with probably 30 watches and an armload of catalogs. Nothing really interested me.

I like my PAM, but if I get serious about acquiring the Blacncpain FF Chrono. I'll be taking it with me for possable trade. If I can get what I paid, it'll go.
Old 08-05-2011, 04:52 PM   #28
Frankie
Capo

It is looking that PAM's are more of an acquired taste. What is the typical age of a PAM enthusiast?

-Frankie
Old 08-05-2011, 06:08 PM   #29
doc
destiny's original child

Probably 20-60. They are pricey, but I think when guys get older, they are not quite dressy enough for formal wear.
Old 08-06-2011, 12:52 AM   #30
Frankie
Capo

Quote:
they are not quite dressy enough for formal wear.
BINGO! That is exactly why they don't have much appeal to me. Good call Doc!

-Frankie