Watch Tryst Watch Tryst  
Forum  

Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Watch Tryst > Special Interests > Electronics, Gadgets, Shiny Things

Electronics, Gadgets, Shiny Things Toys for grown-ups, because we're all kids at heart. Way more expensive than the kids' stuff. Show us what you bought.

Old 12-11-2017, 10:12 AM   #1
Frankie
Capo

Question What's a computer?

The subject of this post is inspired by the most recent Apple iPad Pro commercial that has been airing on TV. Towards the end of the commercial there is a young girl laying outside typing away on an iPad when her mom asks "hey, whatcha doing on your computer?" .... The girl turns briefly and asks "what's a computer?"....

Here's the commercial in case you have not seen it yet..

This brings me to the conclusion that Apple is setting the foundation for a near future where they depart from their Mac lineup and focus more on the iPad ecosystem of products. Granted I could be way off base here, but something tells me I might be on to something.

The mass majority of households do not require the computing power of their desktops or laptops. There is a major focus on mobile computing, mobile as in smartphone and tablet based products. With this shift, more and more people are buying these mobile devices and making use of them for all aspects of their lives. Fact is that more people consume content than create it, so that is a major driver behind the shift. There will be plenty of people which require a full blown OS to create their content whether it be videos, high edited graphics, CAD or other processor intensive rendering.

Can't wait to see what's next in the industry!
Old 12-11-2017, 10:16 AM   #2
Frankie
Capo

But in the meantime, I have joined the mobile computing wave by purchasing a Google Pixelbook. It only made sense given my heavy adoption of the Google ecosystem coupled with tight integration between my Pixel 2 XL and the Pixelbook - it was a no brainer.

Battery life is superb, performance is ultra crisp and I am able to do 96% of everything that I need to do. For the ~4% of things that I can't do or can't do too well on the Pixelbook I still have my iMac as a supplement.

Google is slowly building their mobile computing platform around the Chrome browser, hence the name of it, ChromeOS. It is very much desktop like with the trackpad and cursor which are both in total contrast to the Apple iPad products (no cursor or trackpad).
Old 12-11-2017, 04:58 PM   #3
doc
Destiny's.Other.Child

I agree with your OP premise. Really, about the only thing you need a desktop for any more is maybe if you want to hook it up permanently to a printer, in a dedicated setting. Mobile devices are the future. I also see subdermal implants replacing mobile hotspots someday.
Old 12-13-2017, 11:14 AM   #4
Frankie
Capo

In the next 3 - 5 years we definitely will see subdermal sensors readily available for implant. Heck, we've been doing it to dogs for many years already!
Old 12-13-2017, 10:13 PM   #5
Mike
Black Russian Slugger

Speaking of computers, I haven't used a desktop since around 2002. I've had the same laptop since 2008 as well lol

I had an iPad 3rd Gen a long time ago, and kept it for about 4 months. Ended up selling it because I found myself on my laptop more.

When my Thinkpad shits the bed in the near future, I'll probably replace it with a 15" Macbook Pro.

But yep, mobile computing is the way of the future for sure. When I go away on vacation, most of the time I don't even turn my laptop on, I do everything with my iPhone. Back in the day, there was no smartphones, and I used my laptop 100% of the time. How times have changed ( and that was only like 10 years ago ).

Imagine what 10 years from now will look like.

"F*ck !! My battery's dead !!"

"Can I have a Coke. The soda."
Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 11:29 PM   #6
Doug
Advanced Tryster

I haven't used my laptop in months. I will use it to do taxes. That's about it. Saved to thumb drive, for future reference.

Only because I don't think I can do it by phone. Although...with the new, latest and greatest tax code, maybe I can.
Old 12-19-2017, 02:30 PM   #7
Frankie
Capo

Do you have a unique or complex tax situation? If not, then you can definitely do your taxes on your mobile. Few taps and you'll be done and on to sipping some bourbon.
Old 01-24-2018, 08:13 PM   #8
Doug
Advanced Tryster

To answer your question, sorta. I have a couple investments that are 2 page journals, and i don't understand them, but TurboTax does

Anyway, I just saw this commercial again and I find the social side a bit ... sad. She does buy ... a taco? But other than the neighbor asking the question, all interactions are on the computer. IDK, but the "best things in life are free" comes to mind. If 5% of your life is human interaction, I'm not sure how that affects personal satisfaction.